Super Clean Fast Food
Maybe you’ve yet to jump on board the resolution train… January is just for practise anyway. Think of February as your feel good month. Summer is kicking off and it’s time to be serious about your health and fitness. While I doubt you’ll run out for a 10km run after reading this, there are easier steps to get your body on the right path. It’s more important about what you consume than exhausting yourself in your Nikes at the Tan. A simple way to eliminate toxins and allow your body to function more efficiently, is a detox. Here are a few ways to get started:
1. Be mindful of what you consume. Increase your intake of insoluble fibre and cruciferous vegetables such as kale, brocolli, cabbage and cauliflower. Incorporate green tea or dandelion root for their diuretic effects. Artichokes, avocados, and beets help promote healthy liver function, a primary detox center in your body. Lemon and other citrus peels are high in anti-oxidants.
2. Minimize your exposure to pesticides and harsh chemicals by eating organic whenever possible, and switching to natural household cleaners like the locally based company, Enzyme Wizard and body care products such as Miranda Kerr’s Kora Organics or the more reasonably priced Sukin.
3. Keeping plants in your household is a simple step to purify the air. Studies have also shown that having plants can help improve health and sharpen focus. Try a Gerbera for a pop of color and it’s ability to remove benzene and trichloroethylene from the air, or maybe a Peace Lily for it’s ability to remove mold from the air. Just remember to water them!
4. Go (coco)Nuts! Oil-pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that calls for swishing oil for about 5-20 minutes each morning (I prefer Virgin Coconut oil, just due to taste but you’re welcome to try other unrefined oils). When combined with saliva, the process attracts and pulls harmful bacteria, toxins, and parasites out from your mouth and lymph system. It also can alleviate congestion and mucous from your throat and loosen up your sinuses. It also aids in re-mineralizing teeth and improving the health of your gums. When you’re done swishing, spit out the oil into the bin or your toilet to avoid drain problems in your sink and rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat daily.
5. Hit the spa! While this might seem like a self-indulgent luxury,there are actually great health benefits. Massage therapy and acupuncture help release zones/pressure points that may be blocked by toxins or various harmful substances that can lead to health complications.
6. Sweat. Your skin is the largest organ and therefore it makes sense to use all the pores to help with the elimination process. Exercise is what we usually turn to when we thinking about getting a glow on but there are other ways to break a sweat! A nice, relaxing sauna is also a great way to draw any pesticides or heavy metals out through your skin.
7. Hydrate. This is simple substance greatly effects your body as a whole and each function. Water naturally flushes out your system and when you’re intaking the proper amount, you will see clear skin, properly functioning organs, and improvements in systems like circulation, respiration, and digestion.